As I wrote somewhere, this wasn’t my first gaming blog, but it’s the one I kept.
This is the first post, made on Oct 18, 2009. It started as a WoW blog because I really only played WoW at that time. This wouldn’t really change for a few years – at least not in the sense that I played a game enough that I would write about it.
This should be post #138.
I’m still mostly playing MMOs, but I’m not raiding and hardly grouping outside of RL friends, so I guess that makes me the prototype casual pretend-single-player MMO player. And I’m having a blast. At least when I’m not on a month long gaming break, which is also fine.
Actually there were quite a few MMOs/notable expansions I only started (or were released) after this blog was created:
- SW:TOR launched on December 20, 2011 – played at launch
- Marvel Heroes launched on June 4, 2013 – I started in December 2014
- TESO launched on April 4, 2014, I started in 2017
- WildStar launched on June 3, 2014 – played at launch
- Guild Wars 2 launched on August 28, 2012, but I only started in spring 2015
- WoW: Cataclysm – December 7, 2010 – played at launch
- WoW: Mists of Pandaria – September 25, 2012 – played at launch, stopped in April 2014 iirc
- WoW: Warlords of Draenor – November 13, 2014 – started in December, stopped in January
- WoW: Legion – August 30, 2016 – resubscribed a month before launch, stayed for a while
But here’s the oldtimers, being released more than 8 years ago:
- EVE Online launched on May 23, 2003, but I started in 2014 iirc
- Ragnarok Online launched in the EU on April 15, 2004, but I started in December 2003
- The Lord of the Rings Online – April 24, 2007
- WoW launched on February 11, 2005 – but I started in May 2006 iirc
- WoW: The Burning Crusade – January 16, 2007 – played at launch
- WoW: Wrath of the Lich King – November 13, 2008 – played at launch
Not even trying something similar for non-MMOs because I don’t even remember when I bought a game at launch day. But I’ve also not just waited for a sale. I tend to not be overexcited and just at some point happen to pick them up if they sound interesting. One exception is Diablo 3, incl expansions.
Let’s see, I’m really bad with predictions (but I don’t do them in my year-end post anyway) so here’s a list with the “moderately interesting” label for the next time:
- Albion Online
- Destiny 2, the beta really hooked me.. but now.. MMOs, not shooters
- Wild West Online
And yes, this is a scheduled post because I would’ve surely forgotten to publish it on the correct day 😛