End of the year means review post, a tradition started in 2014.
Again gaming was (sadly) the number one spare time activity this year, with other things not even really competing. Getting vaccinated at the end of the summer I’m hopeful I can do fun things outside again next year.
But anyway, here are the details.
What I played a lot:
- World of Warcraft
- EVE Online
- Final Fantasy XIV
Other things I played:
- Horizon: Zero Dawn
- some Nonogram games (no new ones)
Gaming expenses in 2021:
- WoW: 206 EUR for 11 months of subscription total
- 4x 13 EUR = 52 EUR for a monthly sub
- 2x 17.5 EUR = 35 EUR for server transfers (could’ve saved one)
- 1x 40 EUR for the Dark Portal Pass in WoW BC Classic
- 79 EUR for subs, paid last year but running into 2021
- EVE Online: 576 EUR
- 8x 49 EUR for 8x a 3 month subscription incl. 3 MCT
- 1x 5 USD for a 7 day pack
- 179 EUR spillover from last year
- Final Fantasy XIV: 103 EUR
- 5x 12.4 EUR for subscriptions
- 1x 40 EUR for the Endwalker expansion
- 2.40 EUR for additional retainers
- GOG.com: 31 EUR for Horizon: Zero Dawn
- Steam: 0 EUR
- Humble: 0 EUR
- Epic: 0 EUR
And the usual stats:
- Amount of MMOs played: 3
- Amount of MMO subscription months paid: 11 (WoW) + 5 (FFXIV) + ~33 (EVE) = 49, so 4 per month
- Amount of games purchased: 1
- Amount of MMO expansions purchased: 1
- Amount of money for ingame/services stuff:
- Amount of games I got for free and played a lot: 0
- Amount of games I got for free and didn’t play: too many
- Amount of games I bought and then didn’t play: 0
The math for next year will be easier again, no weird “I paid so and so many months already” because of course I am not counting single days or weeks in December that spill over, but this time nothing for February onward is paid.
Again EVE takes number one as a spender game, but I did have 3 accounts running all year and they’re now all unsubscribed as well, but 2 still have some time running. WoW also got a full year of subs, but nothing from December onward. Let’s see when the next raid comes and if I will come back. Final Fantasy brought it up to a respectable 5 months, and in that time I didn’t really play a lot of WoW, I just logged in to raid and that’s why I stayed subscribed.
The total this year is 916 EUR, which is 76.33 EUR per month – 5 less per month than last year and still providing 90% of my spare time entertainment. Not bad, but overall still a bit high.
The list of free games I actually wanted to have a look at grows. Epic leads the way here, but GOG also gave out a few freebies. I’d actually feel bad if I never bought any and got them all for free, but again my conscience is clear if I’m not touching them anyway, even if that sounds a bit weird.
- Pathfinder: Kingmaker
- Shenmue III
- Rage 2
Maybe I should actually set aside a budget of 10 EUR per month for an indie game (or every second month), because this is something I kinda feel bad for. The question is if I’ll play it then.