So there’s this Guardian’s Gala event (to get some SKINs) and that what’s got me to try a bit of EVE Online (not offline, i.e. just training) again and I’m a little let down.
- Jump in a Thorax I have sitting around (Gallente Cruiser) and try to find a “Guardian’s Gala Rendezvous Point” (cool)
- Had to fly around a bit and find one of those, visited like 7 systems (cool)
- Finally found one, yay! Engage!
- Now I know I am probably the worst EVE player in existence, but as I was just returning and didn’t know what to expect (Don’t fly what you can’t afford to lose)… I maybe chose a badly fitted or badly played ship. There’s 5 Angel Cartel frigates and after killing 3 my drones are gone, I am apparently not cap stable and have to warp off. No clue how expensive the drones were, but ship insurance (as I said I was inactive the last months) + repairs = a few mil (still cool)
- But so now I was curious how much the SKINs actually cost, so I flew my other toon to Jita to check.
TLDR: It’s easier to fly to Jita and spend 50m on ALL the skins for ALL the Gallente ships I can fly or pay 15m in insurance for a Brutix that MAY enable me to do a few of those events and get a handful of skins. Easy choice. Spent 50m, happy with my SKINs, event failed.
Not a real critique of CCP – I am totally happy that they do these events, but if I compare them to WoW (can login on *any* max level toon, do stuff to a) see the event and b) reap some rewards)… it’s not even worth trying it. It’s PvE content, I am shooting some NPC ships and maybe? get 1 SKIN per successful gate. Whereas my participation already costs a sizable amount of what I would get. I have to say that it might be quite different if I had managed to do one in my Thorax (probably easy) or if I had an insured Brutix or Ishtar ready (also easy for most people). Still not sure how Omega toons would do this. EPIC SKILL?