A friend of mine started to play EVE a few days ago (someone else goaded him) and all the EVE talk made me log in and actually undock. Also it kinda helped there’s this awesome event going on where you just shoot a few rats and get skill points.
So where do we stand now?
- “Main”: 36m skill points
- Hauling Alt: 5.2m skill points, can fly Minmatar Frigates
- Explorer-themed alt, account 2: 5.2m skill points, can fly Amarr Frigates
- Mining-themed alt, account 2: 5.2m skill points, can fly Caldari Frigates
- Ex-Nullsec alt: 11m skill points, right now in LowSec with assets spread everywhere. Not terribly much in terms of ISK, but not nothing. First foray into a belt to shoot rats went fine, today I lost a Caracal. And I had forgotten to empty the hold. That’s 12m down the drain I guess…
I surely don’t plan to mine, but for now I’m doing some L1 missions and shoot some rats in asteroid belts as long as the event is ingame. I still have 1 PLEX, but I don’t really want to pay for a third MMO.
Alpha access is really nice for this, I can fly some of my ships, do the event, could contract some stuff to my beginner friend. This is free to play done right, although I’ve never regretted giving CCP some money.
So there’s this Guardian’s Gala event (to get some SKINs) and that what’s got me to try a bit of EVE Online (not offline, i.e. just training) again and I’m a little let down.
- Jump in a Thorax I have sitting around (Gallente Cruiser) and try to find a “Guardian’s Gala Rendezvous Point” (cool)
- Had to fly around a bit and find one of those, visited like 7 systems (cool)
- Finally found one, yay! Engage!
- Now I know I am probably the worst EVE player in existence, but as I was just returning and didn’t know what to expect (Don’t fly what you can’t afford to lose)… I maybe chose a badly fitted or badly played ship. There’s 5 Angel Cartel frigates and after killing 3 my drones are gone, I am apparently not cap stable and have to warp off. No clue how expensive the drones were, but ship insurance (as I said I was inactive the last months) + repairs = a few mil (still cool)
- But so now I was curious how much the SKINs actually cost, so I flew my other toon to Jita to check.
TLDR: It’s easier to fly to Jita and spend 50m on ALL the skins for ALL the Gallente ships I can fly or pay 15m in insurance for a Brutix that MAY enable me to do a few of those events and get a handful of skins. Easy choice. Spent 50m, happy with my SKINs, event failed.
Not a real critique of CCP – I am totally happy that they do these events, but if I compare them to WoW (can login on *any* max level toon, do stuff to a) see the event and b) reap some rewards)… it’s not even worth trying it. It’s PvE content, I am shooting some NPC ships and maybe? get 1 SKIN per successful gate. Whereas my participation already costs a sizable amount of what I would get. I have to say that it might be quite different if I had managed to do one in my Thorax (probably easy) or if I had an insured Brutix or Ishtar ready (also easy for most people). Still not sure how Omega toons would do this. EPIC SKILL?
I haven’t touched WildStar in a few days (or has it been 2 weeks with only logging in for a few mins?) because my non-Marvel Heroes time was mostly spent in New Eden, where my Nullsec char has now learned Interceptors (still need to save up for one though) and I also bought the first Scythe for Space Priesting after two quick stints in a Probe. Not sure yet how good I am at it, but it’s fun. Maybe more fun than shooting space ships. And my older “main” high sec carebear character can now fly Gallente HACs, as soon as I have enough ISK to buy and fit an Ishtar (notice a pattern?).
I think I’ve never been that low in ISK since my first week in EVE, but buying ships for two characters now, spending money on skill books and with the only source of income being ~5h of semi-afk mining in high sec while I surf the web on the second screen.. Not good. And while I’m not planning to buy PLEX to sell it for ISK, I kind of need to find a source of income it seems. Still plan to try Station Trading but I usually hate this AH flipping, it really feels like Excel to me and I never did it in WoW, where the source of my income was nearly 100% based on levelling so many alts and selling excess stuff that the gold kind of came in quicker than I could reasonably spend it, without investing a single minute into *earning* gold since TBC.
Moreover, I’d love to buy a PLEX or two for ISK in order to not pay for dualtrain, but apparently that’s a very unrealistic scenario. I wonder if there are people hating economics in games as much as I do and still making a decent income. The only game where I enjoyed trading a lot was some ~1997 era trading sim with ships. I really should search for the name, to have an example handy.
So while I enjoy reading Syp‘s shenanigans in multiple MMOs, I can definitely say it is not for me. In some weeks I might even spend more time ingame than he does, but 2 games are the absolute reasonable maximum that I can focus on. The only exception might be a mobile game on the subway or some Guitar Hero, but both occur more on a bimonthly (non-)schedule than on a daily one.
Sick at home, actually so bad that I can’t sit and play for more than an hour or two, so haven’t undocked in EVE (my new favorite game) in a few days.
Blogging would be totally possible, with a laptop in bed, just that nothing really happened. Plus I hope my sentences make sense.
Despite all of this I managed to level my Mordesh Stalker from 19 to 35 in the last 2 weeks or so, only adding a few of those levels in the last days, so at least something to write down. Awesome.
Failed the Malgrave Trail Veteran Adventure run on my main by a small margin on first try, so nothing really new there, it will still take tremendous time to get attuned.