As I wrote in 2020, I’m not big on any of these things:
- being hyped up for future games
- buying a lot of games
- actually playing the games I own
But for some reason right now I’m a little obsessed (compared to my usual mood) with looking for other games to play and also what’s coming up this year. And what I missed in 2021. It’s weird!
So I’ve been scouring YouTube for some of these “lists” videos. Upcoming, best of 2021, overall or per genre and so on. And I actually went through my whole Epic Games library of 99% “got this game for free” list and wrote down some notes and watched the trailer, and I even identified a few I want to play, and most surprusingly, actually have played one for a while.
I am not sure where this comes from, maybe it’s coincidence or maybe I’m not 100% enthusiastic about leveling all the jobs in FFXIV atm. Which in no way means I am drifting away, surprisingly – it means I’m doing my roulettes every day (or some of them), I am raiding Savage – but I don’t feel like spending my whole evening on FFXIV. Maybe it is actually true that this game values your time a lot more than WoW does. There’s always something to do in WoW, but here I can more easily feel “done for the day”.
Anyway, here’s a list (in no particular order) of upcoming games I am at least moderately interested in:
- Weird West, Adventure/RPG, March 2022, on Steam
- Two Point Campus, May 2022, Simulation, on Steam
- Forspoken, May 2022, ARPG, on Steam – 80 EUR, WTF?
- Anvil Saga, RPG?, 2022, Demo on Steam
- Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands, FPS, 2022?, on Steam
- Nightingale, Survival?, 2022? Trailer on YouTube
twothree even launch on PC?
- Redfall, Summer 2022, FPS, Trailer on YouTube, some gameplay (Xbox Series S?)
- Triangle Strategy, 2022? Trailer on YouTube (Switch?)
- Horizon: Forbidden West, 2022?, Gameplay Demo on YouTube (PlayStation?)
Now the ones that look interesting but have already launched:
- Before We Leave, Builder, May 2021, on Steam
- Wildermyth, June 2021, RPG, on Steam
- Timberborn, Strategy/Builder September 2021, on Steam
- Gamedec, RPG, September 2021, on Steam
- Dorfromantik, Builder, EA 2021, on Steam
And then there are some “big” upcoming releases and to my non-surprise none of these sound in any way interesting to me, no matter how highly anticipated or awesome they are supposed to be:
- Elden Ring
- God of War
- Rainbox Six
- Pokémon Legends
- Total War
- that Warhammer 40k FPS
- Gran Turismo
- STALKER 2
- Mario and Rabbids
Some notable mentions:
- Ratchet and Clank – that upcoming title looks a bit meh, but I’ve always wanted to play the older titles
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2 – not really interested, but maybe I should look at the first one?
Finally, because this post isn’t long enough already, some games I own and have yet to play:
- ARK: Survival Evolved
- Bad North
- Cities: Skylines
- For the King
- Moving Out
- Neon Abyss
- Salt and Sanctuary
- Surviving Mars
- The Messenger
- Totally Reliable Delivery Service
- Prison Architect